Join us for our annual group trip to Washington DC in October! We plan to tour the US Capitol, Library of Congress, White House, Pentagon, Ford’s Theater, Arlington Cemetery, National Archives, museums, monuments, and more!
When: October 5-9, 2017
Where: Washington DC
Registration Deadline: This trip is full, but we’re still accepting registrations for the waiting list in case of cancellations.
Government tours such as the White House, Library of Congress, US Capitol, Pentagon, etc., are not guaranteed due to factors beyond our control (government shutdown, security, or other factors). Since there’s plenty to do even during a shutdown, we’ll have an alternate itinerary and will probably still go. No refunds will be given unless I cancel the trip. Please register with this in mind.
You’ll make your own travel arrangements (car, train, or plane). If you fly or take the train, there’s no need to rent a car once you arrive in DC. Our hotel is easily accessible via the metro whether you travel by train or by plane (to Reagan National Airport – not Dulles) or via a hotel shuttle (if you land at Reagan National Airport – not Dulles). If you want to travel to Dulles airport instead of Reagan National, check out this website for alternative transportation options. If you drive to DC, parking at the hotel will be an extra $17 per day.
Please plan to arrive on Thursday, October 5, by 5:00 pm. We’ll have an orientation later that evening, and I’ll distribute admission tickets and more information about our itinerary at that time. We’ll spend Friday through Monday morning touring, and depart for home around 12:00 pm on Monday, October 9. (Timing may change.)
Due to security requirements for the White House and Pentagon tours, I will need social security numbers for everyone age 18 and older, date of birth, full name with middle initial, country of birth, and current city/state of residence. There are no guarantees we’ll get the tours, but I’ll need your personal information to register for them. You don’t have to provide this information if you don’t want to go on either tour.
Everyone age 18 and older will submit the first 4 numbers of their SS number on the registration form, and mail the last 5 numbers with payment. I will shred your personal information as soon as I’m finished with it.
Everyone in the group 18 years of age or older will be required to show photo identification with information exactly matching the name from your registration form that I submit for clearance. If your identification card does not exactly match the name that you submit, you may be denied admittance, so please make sure there are no typos when you submit your registration.
Cost and What’s Included
The cost for your family will vary, depending on the ages of your children, and I don’t have final prices for a few things, but here are good estimates (per family, not per person):
Family of 2: $998
Family of 3: $1,196
Family of 4: $1,394
Family of 5: $1,728
Family of 6: $2,392
Family of 7: $2,590
Family of 8: $2,788
These estimates include your hotel for four nights; breakfast on Friday through Monday; and all sites on the itinerary. It also includes Metro transportation while we’re there.
They don’t include all other meals, a $17 per day hotel parking fee if you drive to DC, and anything you do on your own.
Our hotel rooms have two double beds and will be reserved for each family (you won’t share a room with people you don’t know). The hotel will allow only four people in a room (they’ll make exceptions if your 5th person is an infant/toddler who can fit in a portable crib). If you have five in your party, you can upgrade (for an extra $136 total) to a 2-room suite (cost is included in the family of 5 estimate above).
The 2-room suites have one king bed, a full-size pull-out sofabed, and a roll-away twin bed can be added, if available. If you have more than five, you’ll have to get two rooms (cost is included in the estimate for families of 6, 7, and 8 above).
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund Policy
Full payment will be due within 7 days of my email confirmation of your spots on this trip. I expect this trip to fill quickly, so I can’t wait for late payments. Please don’t register until you’re able to make full payment, and plan to pay by the due date.
Payments are refundable only if I have a family on my waiting list to replace you, and a $50-per-person cancellation fee will be deducted from your refund. No replacements, roster changes, or refunds will be made after June 5, 2017.
This trip won’t be confirmed until we reach our group minimum. If we don’t, I’ll cancel and you’ll get a full refund of payments made to me. However, please wait to purchase non-refundable airfare until I confirm the trip. I have no control over the airline’s refund policies.
Your signed registration, waiver, and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy.
I accept checks, bank checks, and money orders. I don’t accept PayPal or credit cards for my trips (due to their fees), but credit card convenience checks are fine.
Important Things to Know
- Homeschoolers throughout the United States and beyond are welcome on this trip.
- Full payment will be due in my mailbox within 7 days of the date I email your confirmation. I won’t be able to wait for late payments.
- Please read the security requirements section before registering.
- White House, Pentagon, US Capitol, and other government tours are not guaranteed and may be cancelled at the last minute for security or other reasons.
- We’ll rely on metro transportation while touring DC. It’s well worth the experience (and the kids usually love it), but it does require that we have patience if there are delays.
- You’ll walk a lot during this trip. If you have problems that won’t allow you to walk for extended periods during the day, please consider postponing your trip until you’re more able. I don’t recommend this trip for people who must use a wheelchair or scooter, or for older people unless they’re very active and are accustomed to walking for extended periods during the day.
- Start a walking program before the trip if you don’t ordinarily do much walking. Be sure to walk in the (comfortable) shoes you’ll be using for the trip – don’t buy new shoes without breaking them in thoroughly. Trust me on this.
- If you plan to take small children (infants, toddlers, small preschoolers), consider bringing a stroller and a sling/carrier – both will come in handy depending on security requirements at the sites we visit. (That said, some sites won’t allow either and you’ll have to carry them if they’re not able to walk by themselves.)
- Security in DC is extreme. Be prepared to be security-scanned every place we visit and become familiar with the requirements of each site before we arrive. (I’ll email this information before our travel dates.)
- Refunds for cancellations are not guaranteed. Please read my refund policy carefully before you register and mail your payment.
Want to go?
- To register for this trip, click here.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation with payment information within 3 days, please email me.
- Your full payment will be due within 7 days of receiving my confirmation email.
- I’ll email a confirmation when I receive your payment, and send you periodic trip updates via email.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.