When: September 15-18* – Full
When: September 17-20* – Full
Registration: We’ve reached our maximum for both trips. Sign up for our waitlist to receive a text if spots become available.
Explore Boston with us and enjoy guided tours of the Freedom Trail, from Boston Common to the Charlestown Navy Yard. We’ll see the Old State House, Old South Meeting House, Paul Revere’s house, the Boston Massacre site, Old North Church, Bunker Hill, Old Ironsides, go on a Whale Watch, dump some tea in the harbor, and more!
This trip is limited to ages 10 and up due to the amount of walking and emphasis on history.
*NOTE: Orientation for the Sept. 15-18 group will be in the evening on Friday, September 15. (It’s mainly a travel day, so nothing else is planned that day.) Tours will be Saturday, September 16 – Monday, September 18. I recommend adding a few days to the end of our trip to visit other sites in Boston, Concord, Lexington, Salem, Plymouth, etc.
*NOTE: Orientation for the Sept. 17-20 group will be in the evening on Sunday, September 17. (It’s mainly a travel day, so nothing else is planned that day.) Tours will be Monday, September 18 – Wednesday, September 20. I recommend adding a few days to the end of our trip to visit other sites in Boston, Concord, Lexington, Salem, Plymouth, etc.
You’ll make your own travel arrangements to Boston. If you fly or take the train, there’s no need to rent a car once you arrive (unless you extend your stay to take day trips). The city is easily accessible via public transportation whether you travel by train or air.
We’ll walk and use public transportation (the subway and ferry) to tour Boston.
In an effort to make this trip more affordable for families, I’m not reserving a group hotel. You’re free to use points at your hotel of choice, rent an Airbnb or Vrbo, stay with nearby relatives, camp in your RV, or whatever.
Please make arrangements as soon as possible after your registration is confirmed. Boston is popular and accommodations can become scarce the closer we get to our travel dates.
If you want to stay closest to the main sites we’ll be visiting, choose somewhere centrally located (within a 15-minute walk from Old State House would be a good benchmark).
If you’re comfortable using public transportation (or using a taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc., to get to/from the downtown area), accommodations that are farther out will likely be less expensive.
Cost and What’s Included
The price is $310 per person and includes your registration fee, site admissions, guided tours, and activities on the itinerary. It doesn’t include accommodations, meals, subway/ferry, and anything you do on your own.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund Policy
Full payment is due upon registration and is payable through my online payment platform.
Your payment is refundable only if I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours by July 31, 2023, and a $100 per-person cancellation fee will be deducted from any refunds. Your spots aren’t transferable.
No replacements, roster changes, or refunds can be made after July 31, 2023 for any reason, so please register with this in mind. Your registration and payment acknowledge your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy.
This trip won’t be confirmed until we reach our minimum. If we don’t, you’ll get a full refund of payments made to me. Please wait to purchase non-refundable airfare until I confirm the trip. I have no control over airline refund policies.
Important Things to Know
- Please read all the information on this page and the FAQs below before emailing me with questions.
- You’ll arrange your own accommodations after your registration is confirmed.
- Full payment will be required when you submit your registration. Due to the limited number of spots on this trip, I can’t hold spots.
- I’ll use a text messaging system throughout our trip. A cellphone with unlimited texting and a portable charger (to carry with you) is required.
- We’ll rely on public transportation while touring Boston. It’s well worth the experience, but it does require that we have patience if there are delays.
- You’ll walk and stand a lot during this trip. If you have problems that won’t allow you to walk or stand for extended periods during the day, please consider postponing your trip until you’re more able. I don’t recommend this trip for people who must use a wheelchair or scooter, or for senior citizens unless they’re very active and are accustomed to standing and walking for extended periods during the day.
- Start a walking program before the trip if you don’t ordinarily do much walking. Be sure to walk in the (comfortable) shoes you’ll be using for the trip – don’t buy new shoes without breaking them in thoroughly. Trust me on this.
- This trip is limited to ages 10 and up due to the amount of walking and emphasis on history.
- Due to site and tour limitations, adding extra people without my prior approval is not allowed.
- No refunds unless I can replace your spots by July 31, 2023. No replacements, roster changes, or refunds can be made after July 31, 2023 for any reason. A $100 per-person cancellation fee is deducted from all refunds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this trip still open? Are any spots left? Do you have a waitlist? Is your waitlist first come, first serve?
I’ll update this page if we run out of spots. I can’t answer “do you have spots left” questions because I receive registrations throughout the day. What’s available when I get your email may not be available five minutes later.
Waitlists are based on a lottery system (not first come, first serve). Notifications go to everyone who signed up, and everyone has an equal chance of getting spots, regardless of when they signed up.
When the cancellation period for a trip closes, the waitlist also closes since we can no longer replace spots.
To increase your chance of getting spots on my waitlist “lottery,” make sure to follow the instructions in the text you receive and provide the requested information.
Is the price per person?
The price is per person.
Why don’t you allow younger children on this trip?
Based on our experiences during previous trips to Boston, younger children have a harder time handling the walking, and aren’t as interested in the history aspect of the trip. Children ages 10 and up love it!
I don’t want to pay this much money to someone I don’t know. Can you provide references?
I could provide references from families who’ve traveled with me since I began doing these trips in 2006, but the references could be faked.
Instead, read my About page to find out more about me, then do a search of “Carolina Homeschooler trips” and “Traveling Homeschoolers trips.” If I’ve cheated anyone, it’ll be all over the internet.
My “Traveling Homeschoolers” name is newer, created in 2016 to differentiate between my local member trips, and trips that are open to everyone, so search both names.
You can also get a sense of who I am and what I do if you follow me on Facebook and read comments and feedback from my 37,000+ followers.
It’s too stressful to pay for one of my trips if you don’t trust me, so research before you register.
Do you think you’ll have enough families to confirm the trip?
I think I will – it’s such a fun trip!
What’s our hotel? What’s our daily itinerary?
You’ll arrange your own hotel (or rental or timeshare or campground or whatever) after your registration is confirmed.
Our daily itinerary may change, so I’ll wait to share that with travelers when we get closer to our travel dates.
What time would we need to be there on our arrival date? What time will we leave on our departure date?
I’ll post our orientation time soon – watch this space for an update!
You’ll have free time from around 3:00 pm and later on September 20, so you can leave whenever you’re ready after that. However, I encourage you to add days if your budget and schedule allows so you can do day trips to nearby sites in Concord, Lexington, Salem, Plymouth, etc.
Can we opt out of specific tours and activities?
You can opt out of tours and activities but won’t receive a refund.
Want to join us?
- We’ve reached our maximum for both trips. Sign up for our waitlist to receive a text if spots become available.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation within 3 days, please email me.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.