Dianna

Rhine River Cruise 2022 - FAQs

Dianna

Here is the trip description and registration link: 

https://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/rhine-river-cruise/

Is the trip still open? What cabins are left?

We just posted the trip, so we'll hopefully have spots available for a while. Our 2020 Rhine cruise was cancelled due to COVID-19, so we're trying it again!

Families were registered for our 2020 Rhine cruise will get first priority for spots, but we have a bigger ship this time, so we can add families. Please check my website for cabin availability updates.

Is the price quoted per person?

It's per cabin. Please read the description under each cabin category for pricing.

Wow! That's a lot of money to send to someone I don't know. And no refunds? Can you provide references?

You're right to hesitate before sending money to anyone you don't know, especially someone you "met" on the internet. I could provide references from families who've traveled with me since I began doing these trips in 2006, but the references could be faked.

Instead, read my About page to find out more about our organization, then do a search of “Carolina Homeschooler trips" and "Traveling Homeschooler trips." If I’ve cheated anyone, it’ll be all over the internet. My “Traveling Homeschoolers” name is newer, created in 2016 to differentiate between my local member trips, and trips that are open to everyone, so search both names.

You can also get a sense of who we are if you follow/read my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/travelinghomeschoolers/

Please don’t register for any of my trips or send me money until you trust me. It's just too stressful!

Do you think you'll fill the ship and be able to confirm the trip?

We were able to confirm our first river cruise (Danube) and second (Rhine). We had to cancel the Rhine cruise due to COVID-19, but the Danube cruise was amazing in all respects. Most (maybe all) of us were ready to write the check for the next one before we left the ship. The adults loved it and the children (even the teens) loved it.

I've never been on a river cruise before. Can you give me an idea of the ship, activities, etc.?

The ship may change (since it's 2 years out), but most river cruise ships are typical - the top deck is open for viewing and hanging out in the sun. The remaining decks are half cabins, half social areas (lounge, seating areas, restaurants, etc.).

The cabins are 155-350 sq ft. The smaller ones have fixed windows or French (inside) balconies, while the bigger ones have twin balconies (inside and outside balconies). Rooms have two twins or 1 queen (they hook the twins together to make the queen), and some have sleeper chairs and/or sleeper sofas for more than two people. (Although we didn't receive any complaints about the beds, their twins and queens seemed smaller than regular twins/queens.)

My website explains what meals, amenities, etc., are included in the price (almost everything).

The focus of river cruises is on the places we'll be visiting, not the ship (the opposite of ocean cruises), so there aren't a lot of planned ship activities during the day (because we're out touring). In the evenings, we enjoy socializing, playing games, getting to know each other, etc., and they often bring local entertainment (musicians, etc.) on board. There’s plenty to do, but also time for parents and children to socialize and bond. And they did plenty of that on our Danube cruise - it was wonderful!

Does your website list everything we're doing? 

Cruise itineraries for 2022 haven't been finalized yet and is subject to change. We usually have a choice of tours each day, too, so you'll have a lot of choices - tours, walks, hikes, bike rides, etc.

When will you post information about the Switzerland and Amsterdam extensions?

I hope to post more information about both soon.

I have young children. Can we all share one room?

This trip is recommended for ages 8 and up. We have some triple cabins and some quads, but the 3rd and 4th people sleep on sleeper chairs or sofa beds. We also have some connecting cabins.

Do they have cabins for families of 4, 5, 6...?

Cabins sleep up to 4 people, and a few cabins connect to provide accommodation for families of 4 and 5. One adult (age 18 and up) must be in a cabin, even if they're connecting.

I have a baby, toddler, preschooler - do they count in the price?

This trip is recommended for ages 8 and up, but everyone, regardless of age, counts in the price.

Should people with mobility issues go on this trip.

We'll have "gentle walker" versions of most tours to accommodate travelers with mobility issues. Describe your issues in the "special needs" section of the registration form and I'll make sure we can accommodate your issues before I confirm your spots and you mail your payment.

What cities will we fly to/out of?

Our cruise begins in Basel, Switzerland, and ends in Amsterdam. If you're doing the optional pre-trip extension in Switzerland, we'll begin in Zurich.

What payment methods do you accept?

Checks (personal and BillPay through your bank - not PopMoney), and transfers through Zelle (if your bank offers that service). I don't accept credit card payments for this trip.

Have any other questions? Please reply in this thread and I'll answer and add it to the list!

Mandy

Do you offer a refund if the trip is cancelled?

Dianna

Hi Mandy,

You'll get a refund if the trip is cancelled.

Warmly,

Dianna