Dianna

Yellowstone Road Trip 2019 - FAQs

Dianna

Here is the trip description and registration link: 

https://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/yellowstone-road-trip/

Are spots still available for this trip?

Spots are still available. I'll update this FAQ and my website when we're full.

When are the educational tours scheduled?

They're scheduled in two blocks of 3, full-day tours, covering different areas of the park. You'll be assigned to the August 22, 23, 24 block until spots run out, then we'll fill the August 18, 19, 20 block. Spots are very limited for each block.

Will we go on long hikes over rough terrain?

Tours will vary for each group within the block, depending on age and ability levels. From up to 1-2 miles over mostly flat terrain, to up to 5+ miles over mixed terrain and higher elevations.  You'll be able to choose your difficulty level when you register. I'll group families with similar ages/ability levels.

I live in the area - can I join your group for the day?

I'm not arranging hotels or transportation to Yellowstone for this trip, so you're welcome to join us. The fee is the same, regardless of how many days you join us, or where you stay. However, be prepared to drive 1+ hours to our meeting location each morning if you don't stay in the park.

Can I choose my own hotel or campground? Can I use points for my hotel?

Yes to both - families make their own hotel, campground, whatever, arrangements for my road trips, so choose whatever hotel or campground works best for your family. I recommend accommodations that are located in or near our meeting location. Otherwise you'll have to drive 1+ hours each morning to get to our meeting point. I'll provide more information and suggestions to registered families.

To help you estimate costs, lodges and cabins in the park are expensive (around $350-400 per night). Camping is much cheaper (you can stay the whole week for less than one night in a lodge or cabin). You can stay outside the park, but you’ll have to drive around 1.5 hours (estimated) to reach our meeting point each morning. West Yellowstone and Gardiner are popular areas outside the park - research hotels there to see what their prices are.

I have a baby, toddler, preschooler - do they count in the price?

Children ages 4 and younger are free, but they won't be able to attend the educational tours. A parent, grandparent , etc., will need to stay behind with them and are free, also.

I have a 4-year-old (or younger) and older children, and no other adult will be going with us. Can we attend the educational tours together?

Children ages 4 and younger can't attend the educational tours, and older students must have an adult with them during all tours. I recommend recruiting a grandparent, uncle, aunt, adult friend, etc., to go with you to watch the younger children. They won't have to pay the fee.

We're flying in. What airports do you recommend?

I think Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport (BZN) would be your best bet, but check out this link to see which would work best for you: https://www.yellowstonepark.com/road-trips/airports

Will I need a car for this trip?

You can fly into the area (see link above) and hire transportation to our central location in Yellowstone.  However, renting a car would likely be less expensive and more convenient. See this link for more information: https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/stay/plan/transportation/ 

Can you give me an estimate for hotel, campground, transportation, flights, etc.?

I can't give you an estimate since each family has different needs, prefer different types of accommodations, and will be traveling from different states. Research the different options available and see what best meets your needs. To reduce the cost of your trip, use hotel points, credit card rewards points for flights or rental cars, etc.

To help you estimate costs, lodges and cabins in the park are expensive (around $350-400 per night). Camping is much cheaper (you can stay the whole week for less than one night in a lodge or cabin). You can stay outside the park, but you’ll have to drive around 1.5 hours (estimated) to reach our meeting point each morning. West Yellowstone and Gardiner are popular areas outside the park - research hotels there to see what their prices are.

Have any other questions? Please reply in this thread and I'll answer and add it to the list!