Dianna

Washington DC 2020 - FAQs

Dianna

Here is the trip description and registration link: 

https://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/washington-dc/

Is the price quoted per family, or per person?

The prices are per family, not per person.

Are spots still available?

I'll post updates on my website (link above) regarding the status of the trip.

If it's full, and I'm still accepting waitlist registrations, please submit a registration form as you normally would. You'll have to pay a $250 per-person non-refundable deposit to confirm your spots on the waiting list. (I'll send you an email with payment information after I receive your registration.)

If spots come available, your deposit will be applied to your total. If spots don't come available by May 31, 2020, your deposit will be refunded in full. If you decide not to go after being offered spots, your deposit will not be refunded. So, in other words, make sure you really do want to go before registering for my waiting list.

Do you do "photo stops" or "fly-bys" on this tour?

I plan to go inside (or get close to) each site listed in the description. For example, we'll go inside the White House, not just do a group photo from the outside, and we won't view the monuments from a bus window, but get up close and personal. I prefer to experience the places we visit rather than just crossing them off a list. This is contingent on getting government approval for tours (it's rare that we don't, and it's usually due to government shutdowns).

If you're comparing different itineraries with long lists of sites you'll visit, ask which ones are photo stops and fly-bys, and which ones you'll actually spend time at and go inside.

I live in the area - can I join your group for the day?

We have a limited number of tour spots, so they're reserved for my group.

Can we opt out of the hotel, specific tours, etc.?

This is a package deal, with required minimums to qualify for group discounts. You won't be able to opt out of the hotel. You can opt out of any tour on the itinerary, but you won't receive a refund for any missed tours/events.

What hotel will we be using? What is our exact itinerary?

I'll share hotel information, itinerary, etc., closer to our travel dates in case there are unexpected changes. All of the hotels I partner with are mid-range (for price and value), highly rated, family-friendly, in good areas of town, and near restaurants.

Why do I need a cellphone for this trip?

I use a mass text messaging system during the trip, so a cellphone with unlimited texting and a portable charger/power bank you can carry with you is required.

I have a family of 5, 6, 7, (etc.) - can we all share one room? I have a baby, toddler, preschooler - do they count in the price?

The hotel allows a maximum of four people per room due to fire codes. If you have more in your party, you'll have to get two (or more) rooms. This trip is limited to ages 5 and up.

Should people with mobility issues go on this trip? Will we have buses?

We won't have buses this time. Due to the heavy walking associated with this trip and logistical issues with using public transportation, I don't recommend this trip for anyone with mobility problems.

What happens if I get sick, have health issues, or a death in the family?

If it's before June 1, 2020 and I have a waiting list, I'll try to replace your family. If I can replace all of your spots, I'll refund everything but the $250-per-person cancellation fee. If it's June 1, 2020 or later, I won't be able to refund anything. Travel insurance is recommended.

I have a family of 5 or 6 or 7 or 8. What's the price?

• Family of 5: combine the price for a family of 2 and a family of 3.
  • Family of 6: double the price for a family of 3.
  • Family of 7: combine the price for a party of 3 and a party of 4.
  • Family of 8: double the price for a party of 4.
  • And so on...

Have any other questions? Please reply in this thread and I'll answer and add it to the list!

Dianna

I updated my FAQs with this:

Do you do "photo stops" or "fly-bys" on this tour?

I plan to go inside (or get close to) each site listed in the description. For example, we'll go inside the White House, not just do a group photo from the outside, and we won't view the monuments from a bus window, but get up close and personal. I prefer to experience the places we visit rather than just crossing them off a list. This is contingent on getting government approval for tours (it's rare that we don't, and it's usually due to government shutdowns).

If you're comparing different itineraries with long lists of sites you'll visit, ask which ones are photo stops and fly-bys, and which ones you'll actually spend time at and go inside.