Dianna

Rocky Mountains Retreat 2019 - FAQs

Dianna

Here is the trip description and registration link: 

http://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/rocky-mountains-retreat/

I live in the area - can I join your group for the day? Can we opt out of the hotel?

We have a group package, with hotel, meals, and activities included in the price. Also, we're required to book a specific number of rooms to qualify for group discounts and get a lodge for our exclusive use.

What will our rooms be like?

They're similar to hotel rooms, but without the frills. They won't have TVs, microwaves, or mini-fridges. Towels, bedding, hair dryers, soap dispensers are provided, but you'll need to bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Our rooms don't have air conditioning, but the nights are cool and we were able to adjust the temperature by opening and closing the windows. It wasn't an issue at all. Maid service will be provided daily. Each room has a private bathroom.

I have a family of 6, 7, etc., and have very young children. Can we all share one room?

The hotel I use allows up to 5 per room. If you have more in your party, you'll need to have two rooms.

Can I stay fewer nights?

This is a package deal, so the price remains the same whether you arrive later or leave earlier than the group.

What ages do you recommend for this trip?

All ages, babies to grandparents and everyone in between!

We have teens - will there be other teens on this trip?

Yes! We have a lot of teens on my trips, and they loved this trip last time.

Will the children ever be required to be away from their parents for group activities?

Children are never required to be away from their parents for group activities.

What are meals like?

They're buffet style, with a wide variety to accommodate food allergies and special diets. Our group cookouts will include BBQ beef, roasted chicken, hot dogs, veggie burgers (if requested), corn on the cob, baked beans, potato salad, corn bread, brownies, watermelon, lemonade, water, and coffee. (The menu may change from now until May 2019, but that's a typical menu.)

I have food allergies, a special diet, food issues. Can they accommodate me?

They aren't an allergen-free facility. The risk any guest takes eating there is the same risk they’d take at any other restaurant or dining facility. They work hard to ensure cross contamination doesn't occur. However, they do have a bakery attached to their kitchen (for those with gluten/wheat issues). 

They follow good food practice (hand washing, glove changing, and washing of utensils/cutting boards, etc.). Individual peanut butter packets are available at every meal for guests. They typically do not cook with tree or peanuts. However, if they are in a dish, it will be labeled. Any seafood or shellfish would be identifiable and labeled as well. They typically label menu items that are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan options. 

Typically, there are enough allergen-free items for any person with any set of allergies to eat, but if something additional is needed, guests are able to ask for an “allergy plate."  This plate is typically a grilled chicken breast, steamed vegetables, and rice or potatoes (depending on the allergy).

What are the group activities? How much do the extra activities (like horseback riding) cost?

We'll have a group orientation, game nights, and private group cookouts. I can't schedule group activities that cost extra (horseback riding, climbing wall, guided hikes) because our group is too big. However, families can sign up for these themselves while we're there. Here's a list of all the activities and their cost. Children are never required to be away from their parents for group activities.

What airport do we fly into? Is there shuttle service?

For families flying in, round-trip shuttle service from Denver International Airport to the YMCA is available and will cost extra (but we'll get a group discount). I’ll email information about this to travelers before our departure.

Do we have to be members of the YMCA to go?

No.

Have any other questions? Please reply in this thread and I'll answer and add it to the list!

Kristie

If my daughter graduates in May of this year, could we still go to this? She will be 18 then. Also, do we need to know anyone else on this trip? We haven’t traveled with your group before. 

Thank you!

Dianna

Hi Kristie,

Yes - you both would be very welcome! It would be a wonderful graduation trip!

You don't have to know anyone else on the trip - you'll know us by the time we leave, though! ;)

Warmly,

Dianna

Kristie

Thank you! I will look into this with our schedules- sounds like an awesome opportunity!!

• Like 1

Amanda

Hi. I understand that the Ymca is a Christian organization, but I was wondering how prevalent religion is on these type of trips. Are there a mix of beliefs on these trips or is faith a main part of the experience? Thank you.

Dianna

Amanda, I just realized that I never answered this. I thought I had. Our experience on this trip isn’t faith-oriented. They do have a church on property, if you want to attend services.