When: June 6-13, 2021 (flexible dates)
Where: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Registration Deadline: We’re currently at our max for this campout, but we’re accepting waitlist registrations in case of cancellations.
See the synchronous fireflies during our Firefly Campout in Smoky Mountains National Park! This “light show” is so popular that the park runs a lottery each year to control access to the viewing site.
From the NPS website: In 2019, 28,958 people from all 50 states and 19 countries entered the lottery for shuttle access to view the fireflies at Elkmont. An estimated 1,000 people viewed the fireflies each night, including participants from the lottery and campground users.
Since we already have group campsites reserved at the main viewing site, we don’t have to worry about winning the lottery to see them! We’ll also plan group hikes and meetups throughout the week, as well as optional group excursions (if the park relaxes restrictions by then).
Group Camping Information
Our sites are tent-only, with limited spots and limited parking, so registration is required. Drinking water and bathroom facilities are available, but no showers, and there are no hookups for power, sewer, or water. (None of the in-park campgrounds have hookups or shower facilities, even non-group sites.) Since it’s bear country, food storage rules are enforced. Here’s more information about that and other regulations.
Our sites are situated around a loop, and your family will be assigned to a site. Several families will share each site. If you don’t want to stay the whole week, that’s fine – just note your preferred dates on your registration and another family can use the remaining dates at that site.
Cost & What’s Included
The registration fee is $100 per family (includes immediate family and grandparents). Extended family and friends must register and pay separately. If you want camp spots near each other, please note them on your registration.
This fee covers your campsite during your stay, plus all group hikes and meetups. Optional excursions (if any) will be extra.
- Your registration fee is payable via debit/credit through my online payment platform. No refunds if you don’t attend the event (for any reason). Your spots aren’t transferable.
- The timing of the Synchronous Firefly season varies from year to year. It’s a 2-week period that usually occurs between the third week in May to the third week in June. They can’t predict it this far in advance, so all we can do is hope we hit it right. We’ll have plenty to do even without the fireflies, so no refunds if they don’t put on a show for us.
- Your registration, waiver, and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and no-refund policy.
- Each family must register separately (grandparents are considered part of the same family unit). If you have extended family who want to attend (your sister’s family, for example), please ask them to register and pay separately.
- You can choose your own camp dates within the June 6-13 timeframe. (First registered, first served.) However, please contact me as soon as possible if you need to change dates or cancel. Families who no-show without contacting me in advance will be automatically waitlisted for future trips.
- Face masks are currently required on NPS-administered lands where physical distancing cannot be maintained, and in all NPS buildings and facilities. This may or may not change by June, so only register if you’re willing to honor the mask and physical distancing requirements.
Want to go?
- We’re currently at our max for this campout. Email me if you’d like to be waitlisted for spots that come available. Please include the names and ages of everyone in your family and your preferred dates.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation with payment information within 5 days, please email me.
- I’ll email a confirmation when I receive your payment, and send you periodic trip updates via email.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.