Join us for our annual group trip to Washington DC in October! We plan to tour the US Capitol, Library of Congress, White House, Ford’s Theater, Arlington Cemetery, National Archives, Pentagon, museums, monuments, and more!
When: October 20-24
When: October 24-28
Where: Washington DC
Registration Deadline: Registration is closed. Please subscribe to our mailing list for announcements of future trips to Washington DC.
Due to long waiting lists for this trip, I’m offering two trips this year. Both are identical in format and cost.
Government tours such as the White House, Library of Congress, US Capitol, etc., are not guaranteed due to factors beyond our control (government shutdown, security, or other factors). In this case, we’ll have an alternative itinerary.
Please plan to arrive by 5:00 pm on your arrival date. We have a mandatory orientation at 7:00 pm, and I’ll distribute admission tickets and more information about our itinerary at that time.
You’ll make your own travel arrangements (car, train, or plane). If you fly or take the train, there’s no need to rent a car once you arrive in DC. Our hotel is easily accessible via the metro whether you travel by train to Union Station or by air to Dulles International or Reagan National. If you drive to DC, parking at the hotel will be an extra $30 per day.
Due to security requirements for the White House and Pentagon tours, I will need social security numbers for everyone age 18 and older, date of birth, full name with middle initial, country of birth, and current city/state of residence. There are no guarantees we’ll get the tours, but I’ll need your personal information to register for them. You don’t have to provide this information if you don’t want to go on either tour.
Everyone age 18 and older will submit the first 4 numbers of their SS number on the registration form, and mail the last 5 numbers with payment. I will shred your personal information as soon as I’m finished with it.
Everyone in the group 18 years of age or older will be required to show photo identification with information exactly matching the name from your registration form that I submit for clearance. If your identification card doesn’t exactly match the name that you submit, you may be denied admittance, so please make sure there are no typos when you submit your registration.
This trip is limited to ages 5 and up.
Our hotel rooms have two queen beds and a full-size sofabed. The hotel allows five people per room. If you have more than five people in your party, you’ll have to get two rooms.
Cost and What’s Included
Prices include your registration fee, hotel for four nights, breakfast each morning, all sites and private tours on the itinerary, and Metro transportation during our trip. They don’t include all other meals, a $30 per-day hotel parking fee if you drive to DC, and anything you do on your own.
(Prices are per family, not per person.)
Family of 2
$1,166 (check, money order, etc., reflects discount)
$1,202 (credit/debit price)
Family of 3
$1,366 (check, money order, etc., reflects discount)
$1,408 (credit/debit price)
Family of 4
$1,566 (check, money order, etc., reflects discount)
$1,614 (credit/debit price)
Family of 5
$1,766 (check, money order, etc., reflects discount)
$1,820 (credit/debit price)
These are package prices. Due to minimum requirements for group discounts, families can’t opt out of private tours, hotel, etc.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund Policy
Full payment will be due within 7 days of my email confirmation of your spots on this trip.
Please read carefully: Due to contract requirements and security deadlines, payments are refundable only if I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours on or before June 30, and a $50 per-person cancellation fee will be deducted from all refunds. I can’t make any roster changes or give refunds after June 30. Your spots are not transferable to others outside of my waiting list.
Please also note: Since I have two trips planned this year, I may not have any waitlisted families, so please be certain you want to go before you register and make your payment.
Each trip won’t be confirmed until we reach our minimum for that group. If we don’t meet the minimum for one or both groups, I’ll cancel that group and you’ll get a full refund of payments made to me. Please wait to purchase non-refundable airfare until I confirm the trip. I have no control over airline refund policies.
Your signed registration, waiver, and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy.
I accept checks, bank checks, bank transfers from Bank of America and Wells Fargo customers, and credit/debit cards via my online payment system. I don’t accept PayPal for my trips. Non-credit/debit card payments are discounted.
Important Things to Know
- Here are the FAQs for this trip.
- Full payment will be due in my mailbox within 7 days of the date I email your confirmation.
- Please read the security requirements section before registering.
- White House, US Capitol, Pentagon, and other government tours are not guaranteed and may be cancelled at the last minute for security or other reasons.
- We’ll rely on metro transportation while touring DC. It’s well worth the experience (and the kids usually love it), but it does require that we have patience if there are delays.
- You’ll walk a lot during this trip. If you have problems that won’t allow you to walk for extended periods during the day, please consider postponing your trip until you’re more able. I don’t recommend this trip for people who must use a wheelchair or scooter, or for senior citizens unless they’re very active and are accustomed to walking for extended periods during the day.
- Start a walking program before the trip if you don’t ordinarily do much walking. Be sure to walk in the (comfortable) shoes you’ll be using for the trip – don’t buy new shoes without breaking them in thoroughly. Trust me on this.
- Due to the amount of walking and security logistics required for this trip, I’m limiting it to ages 5 and up.
- Security in DC is extreme. Be prepared to be security-scanned every place we visit and become familiar with the requirements of each site before we arrive. (I’ll email this information before our travel dates.)
- I won’t be able to give refunds unless I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours on or before June 30. Your spots aren’t transferable to other families outside of my waiting list. Please read my refund policy carefully before you register and mail your payment.
Want to go?
Registration is closed. Please subscribe to our mailing list for announcements of future trips to Washington DC.