Join us for our annual group trip to Washington DC in October! We plan to tour the US Capitol, Library of Congress, White House, Mount Vernon, Arlington Cemetery, museums, monuments, and more.
When: October 17-21
Where: Washington DC
Registration Deadline: Registration is closed.
We’re doing things a little differently this time – we’ll have bus transportation while touring DC, and we’re adding Mount Vernon and a couple more private tours to our itinerary. As always, government tours such as the White House, Library of Congress, US Capitol, etc., are not guaranteed due to factors beyond our control (government shutdown, security, or other factors).
Please plan to arrive by 5:00 pm on your arrival date. We have a mandatory orientation at 7:00 pm, and I’ll provide more information about our itinerary at that time.
We’ll have buses to transport us during our tour days, but you’ll make your own travel arrangements to Washington DC. If you fly or take the train, there’s no need to rent a car once you arrive in DC. Our hotel is accessible via the metro whether you travel by train to Union Station or by air to Dulles International or Reagan National. If you drive to DC, parking at the hotel (or area parking garages/lots) will be extra.
Due to security requirements for the White House tour, I will need social security numbers for everyone age 18 and older, date of birth, full name with middle initial, country of birth, and current city/state of residence. There are no guarantees we’ll get the tour, but I’ll need your personal information to register for it. You don’t have to provide this information if you don’t want to go on the tour.
Everyone age 18 and older must submit the first 4 numbers of their SS number on the registration form, and mail the last 5 numbers with payment. I will shred your personal information as soon as I’m finished with it.
Everyone in the group 18 years or older will be required to show photo identification with information exactly matching the name from your registration form that I submit for clearance. If your identification card doesn’t match the name that you submit, you may be denied admittance, so please make sure there are no typos on your registration.
This trip is limited to ages 5 and up.
Our hotel rooms have two queen beds and a full-size sofabed, with a maximum of 4 people allowed per room. If you have more in your party, you’ll have to get two rooms (no exceptions due to fire codes).
Cost and What’s Included
Prices include your registration fee, hotel for four nights, breakfast each morning, all sites and private tours on the itinerary, and bus transportation during our tour days. They don’t include all other meals, transfers to/from the airport or train station to our hotel, parking fees at our hotel (if you drive), and anything you do on your own.
(Prices are per family, not per person.)
Family of 2: $1,480
Family of 3: $1,790
Family of 4: $2,100
If your party is larger than 4, read these FAQs to figure out your total. These are package prices. Due to minimum requirements for group discounts, families can’t opt out of private tours, hotel, etc.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund Policy
Half of your total will be due within 7 days of my email confirmation of your spots on this trip. The remaining half will be due on March 30.
Please read carefully: Due to contract requirements and security deadlines, payments are refundable only if I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours on or before May 31, and a $100 per-person cancellation fee will be deducted from all refunds. I can’t make any roster changes or give refunds after May 31. Your spots are not transferable to others outside of my waiting list. You won’t be able to bring extra people on the trip without my prior approval, so make sure everyone is listed on your registration.
This trip won’t be confirmed until we reach our minimum. If we don’t, you’ll get a full refund of payments made to me. Please wait to purchase non-refundable airfare until I confirm the trip. I have no control over airline refund policies.
Your signed registration, waiver, and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy.
I accept personal checks, bank checks, BillPay paper checks (not electronic checks or PopMoney), and Zelle online transfer (if your bank offers those services). I can’t accept PayPal, credit cards, or other payment methods.
Important Things to Know
- Here are the FAQs for this trip.
- Please read the security requirements section before registering.
- White House, US Capitol, Library of Congress, and other government sites are not guaranteed and may be cancelled at the last minute for security or other reasons.
- Although we’ll have bus transportation while touring, we’ll still walk a lot. If you have problems that won’t allow you to walk for extended periods during the day, please consider postponing your trip until you’re more able. I don’t recommend this trip for people who must use a wheelchair or scooter, or for senior citizens unless they’re very active and are accustomed to walking and standing for extended periods during the day.
- Start a walking program before the trip if you don’t ordinarily do much walking. Be sure to walk in the (comfortable) shoes you’ll be using for the trip – don’t buy new shoes without breaking them in thoroughly. Trust me on this.
- Due to the amount of walking and security logistics required for this trip, I’m limiting it to ages 5 and up.
- Security in DC is extreme. Be prepared to be security-scanned every place we visit and become familiar with the requirements of each site before we arrive. (I’ll email this information before our travel dates.)
- I won’t be able to give refunds unless I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours on or before May 31. Your spots aren’t transferable to other families outside of my waiting list, and you can’t add people without my prior approval. Please read my refund policy carefully before you register and mail your payment.
Want to go?
Registration is closed. Please consider one of our other trips!