When: October 15-19 or October 19-23
Where: Washington DC
Trip Status: We’ve reached our maximum, and our waitlist is closed.
Join us for our fall trip to Washington DC and explore the White House, US Capitol, Library of Congress, Arlington Cemetery, National Archives, Ford’s Theater, the Spy Museum, monuments, memorials, and more!
As always, government tours are not guaranteed due to factors beyond our control (government shutdown, security, or other factors). We’ll have fun anyway!
This trip is limited to ages 5 and up.
You’ll make your own travel arrangements to Washington DC. If you fly or take the train, you don’t need to rent a car once you arrive in DC. Our hotel is accessible via the metro whether you travel by train to Union Station or by air to Dulles International or Reagan National. If you drive to DC, parking at the hotel (or area parking garages/lots) will be extra.
We’ll use public transportation to tour DC.
Our rooms have two queen beds and a full-size sofabed, with a maximum of 4 people allowed per room. If you have more in your party, two rooms are required (no exceptions due to fire codes).
Due to security requirements for the White House tour, be prepared to provide social security numbers for everyone age 18 and older, date of birth, first and last name, country of birth, and current city/state of residence. There are no guarantees we’ll get the tour, but you’ll need to provide your personal information if we do. You don’t have to provide this information if you don’t want to go on the tour.
Cost and What’s Included
The prices below are in addition to your $100 per-person registration fee. They include your hotel for four nights, breakfast each morning, all sites and private tours on the itinerary, and metro transportation during our tour days. They don’t include all other meals, transfers to/from the airport or train station to our hotel, parking fees at our hotel (if you drive), and anything you do on your own.
Family of 2: $1,220*
Family of 3: $1,380*
Family of 4: $1,540*
*Prices are per family, not per person.
These prices are based on sharing one room. If you have more than four in your party, you’ll need more than one room, so combine the prices. For example, the total for a family of 6 would be $1,380 + $1,380.
These are package prices. Due to minimum requirements for group discounts, you won’t get a refund if you opt out of private tours, hotel, etc.
Payment, Cancellation, and Refund Policy
Full payment will be due within 7 days of my email confirmation of your spots.
If you have to cancel, your $100 per-person registration fee is not refundable for any reason. The rest of your payment is refundable (minus a $250 cancellation fee) only if I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours by July 29. Your spots aren’t transferable to families outside of my waiting list.
No replacements, roster changes, or refunds can be made after July 29 for any reason (including medical issues, sickness, death in the family, etc.), so please register with this in mind. Travel insurance is recommended.
This trip won’t be confirmed until we reach our minimum. If we don’t meet our minimum, you’ll get a full refund of payments made to me. Please wait to arrange for any non-refundable flights until I confirm the trip. I have no control over airline refund policies.
Your signed registration, waiver, and payment acknowledges your understanding and agreement with my cancellation and refund policy.
I accept personal checks, BillPay checks, and Zelle online transfer (if paid in full – no split payments). I can’t accept PayPal, Venmo, PopMoney, credit cards, or other payment methods, including money orders.
Important Things to Know
- Please read all the information on this page and the FAQs below before emailing me with questions.
- Your full payment will be due in my mailbox within 7 days of the date I email your confirmation. Due to the popularity of this trip, I can’t hold spots past the due date or accept partial or late payments.
- White House, US Capitol, Library of Congress, National Archives and other government sites are not guaranteed and may be cancelled at the last minute for security or other reasons.
- I will use text messages to keep everyone on track during this trip. A cellphone with unlimited texts and a portable charger (to carry with you) is required.
- We’ll rely on public transportation while touring Washington DC. It’s well worth the experience, but it does require that we have patience if there are delays.
- You’ll walk a lot during this trip. If you have problems walking or standing for extended periods, please consider postponing your trip until you’re more able. I don’t recommend this trip for people who require a wheelchair or scooter, or for senior citizens unless they’re very active and are accustomed to standing and walking for extended periods during the day. (Most seniors have difficulty with the amount of standing and walking on this trip, even if they’re active.)
- Start a walking program before our travel dates if you don’t ordinarily do much walking. Be sure to walk in the (comfortable, closed-toe) shoes you’ll be using for the trip – don’t buy new shoes without breaking them in thoroughly. Trust me on this.
- Due to the amount of walking and security logistics required, this trip is limited to ages 5 and up.
- Security in DC is extreme. Be prepared to be security-scanned every place we visit and become familiar with the requirements of each site before we arrive. (I’ll email this information before our travel dates.)
- I won’t be able to give refunds unless I have a family on my waiting list to replace yours on or before June 30. (Your registration fee is non-refundable for any reason.) Your spots aren’t transferable to families outside of my waiting list, and you can’t add people without my prior approval. Please read my refund policy carefully before you register and mail your payment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this trip still open? Are any spots left? Do you have a waitlist? Is it first come, first serve?
I’ll update this page if we run out of spots. I can’t answer “do you have spots left” emails because I receive registrations throughout the day. What’s available at noon, for example, may not be available at 1:00 pm.
My “waitlist” is a text notification list. It is not first come, first serve. It is based on a lottery system. The notification goes to everyone who signed up, and everyone has an equal chance of getting spots, no matter if they’re the first or last to sign up.
When the cancelation period for a trip closes, the waitlist also closes since we can no longer replace spots.
To increase your chances of winning a waitlist “lottery,” make sure to follow the instructions in the text you receive and provide the information I ask for.
Is the price per person?
The price is per family, not per person.
What are the current COVID travel/site requirements?
If you’re flying to DC, the airlines are still requiring masks. I don’t know of any other requirements, or any specific site requirements currently in DC. Whatever they are, they’re likely to change at least once before October, so only register if you’re willing to accept whatever requirements are in place during our travel dates.
This is a lot of money to send to someone I don’t know. Can you provide references?
I could provide references from families who’ve traveled with me since I began doing these trips in 2006, but the references could be faked.
Instead, read my About page to find out more about me, then do a search of “Carolina Homeschooler trips” and “Traveling Homeschooler trips.” If I’ve cheated anyone, it’ll be all over the internet.
My “Traveling Homeschoolers” name is newer, created in 2016 to differentiate between my local member trips, and trips that are open to everyone, so search both names.
You can also get a sense of who I am and what I do if you follow me on Facebook.
It’s too stressful to send money until you trust me, so research before you register.
Do you think you’ll have enough families to confirm the trip?
Pre-covid, we always reached our maximum for this trip and had waiting lists. I think we’ll have enough families to confirm at least one of our dates, and probably both.
What’s our hotel? What’s our day-to-day itinerary?
Things may change, so I’ll wait to share hotel information, itinerary, etc., with travelers when we get closer to our travel dates.
What time should we be there on our arrival date? What time will we leave on our departure date?
I recommend arriving no later than 5:00 pm on our arrival date. We’ll have a mandatory orientation at our hotel at 7:00 pm and this will give you enough time to settle in before the orientation.
I try not to plan anything on our departure date so we’ll have more flexibility for flights. Sometimes I’ll schedule a tour that morning if I can’t fit it in before then. Usually that day is free, but I won’t know until closer to our travel dates.
Can we opt out of the hotel, specific tours, etc.?
This is a package deal, so you won’t receive a refund if you opt out of our hotel, sites, or tours on this trip.
Want to join us?
- Registration (and waitlist) is closed.
- If you don’t receive a confirmation with payment information within 5 days, please email me.
- Your payment will be due within 7 days of receiving my confirmation.
- I’ll email a confirmation when I receive your payment, and you’ll get trip updates as we go along.
- And that’s it! Email me if you have any questions.